show / hide sidebar
Boat Repair Part III: Seam Repair
In our previous blog post called Boat Repair Part II: Air Leaks from the Boat Fabric, we reviewed air leak repair on a continuous piece of fabric. But sometimes an air leak develops not on a continuous area of fabric but in a seam where two pieces meet in Inflatable Dinghies. These leaks have to be repaired a little differently. You can follow the steps below to repair your seam leak.
- First, clean and dry the area of the leak.
- Using the German Import Adhesive included in the Inflatable Boat Basic Repair Kit, apply a first layer of the adhesive into the seam. For each layer, a small pencil tip or valve wrench tip can be used to force the adhesive into the seam. After this layer application, allow for the adhesive to sit for 20 minutes.
- Apply the second layer and apply pressure onto the seam for several minutes. Then let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Apply a generous third layer and let it sit for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, you can take a piece of sand paper and sand away excess adhesive.
Your seam has now been permanently repaired.
For a visual demonstration, please refer to the video here: https://youtu.be/f7ROzF8SQPk