Boat Repair Part III: Seam Repair
In our previous blog post called Boat Repair Part II: Air Leaks from the Boat Fabric, we reviewed air leak repair on a continuous piece of fabric. But sometimes an air leak develops not on a continuous area of fabric but in a seam where two pieces meet in inflatable boats. These leaks have to be repaired a little differently. You can follow the steps below to repair your seam leak:
1. First, clean and dry the area of the leak.
2. Using the German Import Adhesive included in the Inflatable Boat Basic Repair Kit, apply a first layer of the adhesive into the seam. For each layer, a small pencil tip or valve wrench tip can be used to force the adhesive into the seam. After this layer application, allow for the adhesive to sit for 20 minutes.
3. Apply the second layer and apply pressure onto the seam for several minutes. Then let it sit for 20 minutes.
4. Apply a generous third layer and let it sit for 24 hours.
5. After 24 hours, you can take a piece of sand paper and sand away excess adhesive.
6. Your seam has now been permanently repaired.
For a visual demonstration, please refer to the video here: https://youtu.be/f7ROzF8SQPk