Trolling Motor FAQs
show / hide sidebar
Welcome to the Newport Vessels electric trolling motor customer forum where all trolling motor related questions can be asked and answered. Do you have a question about the Newport Vessels collection of saltwater electric trolling motors? If so, please browse the below list of customer questions and answers. Another customer has most likely already asked and received an answer to the very question that you have on your mind. So please check the list of FAQs below, to immediately benefit from the answer to you trolling motor related question. If you can't find the answer to your question, please click here to ask us.
- Can I download the trolling motor owners manual?
- What does my trolling motor come with?
- What type of battery is needed for my trolling motor?
- Does my trolling motor run on 1 or 2, 12-volt batteries?
- Can my trolling motor be used in salt water?
- Can the shaft be raised or lowered relative to the transom?
- Can the control head be rotated for bow mounting?
- What is the overall length of my trolling motor?
- Does this trolling motor include a battery?
- Where can I get a replacement propeller for my trolling motor?
- How long does one 12-volt deep cycle marine battery last with this trolling motor?
- I broke or damaged a part of my Newport Vessels trolling motor. Can I buy spare parts?
- What is the top speed I can expect to reach using a Newport Vessels trolling motor?
- What is the shaft length of my Newport Vessels trolling motor?
- Does my trolling motor come with a warranty?
- Can Newport Vessels trolling motors be used on kayaks or rafts?
- Do the LED lights on the trolling motor head remain on all the time? Do they run down the battery?
- What are the shipping dimensions of the package that the trolling motor ships in?
- Can you see how much battery power is left with Newport trolling motors?
- Do I need a circuit breaker for a Newport Vessels trolling motor?
- Which propeller, 2-blade or 3-blade, will allow for greater travel distance with the same boat and same fully charged battery, and with all other factors being equal?
- The washer that goes under the nut to secure the propeller of the motor has two different sides. Which side should meet the propeller and which side should be towards the motor?
- Can I replace the propeller with another branded propeller?
- I want to extend the motor's wiring to the battery. What wire gauge do I need to use?
- Can the control head be turned 180 degrees so the motor can be used from the bow of the boat?
- Do you ship to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada?
- I lost the small metal pin that is used to install the propeller. How can I get a replacement?
- What is the diameter of the shaft of Newport Vessels motors?
- How do I test the battery with the Newport Vessels Smart Battery Box?
- How are the Newport Vessels Trolling Motors waterproofed?
- Trolling Motor Wiring Guide
- Choosing the Correct Thrust Guide
Have a question that isn't in the FAQ page, Click Here To Ask It Now.
To view & download PDF versions of Newport Vessels product manuals. Visit the downloads page at www.newportvessels.com/downloads/.
Our trolling motors include your motor, propellor, and instruction manual. Batteries must be purchased separately.
*Our battery box is recommended for safe operation.
A 12-volt, 50 Amp Hour deep cycle or marine battery is recommended.
The 36lb, 46lb, 55lb and 62lb thrust motors run on one (1) 12-volt battery. The 86lb thrust motor runs on two (2) 12-volt batteries.
Yes, the stainless steel and zinc hardware allow for all Newport Vessels trolling motors to be used in salt water.
Yes, the motor can be adjusted to fit the correct height and direction needed to operate.
The control head and propeller cannot each be rotated independently and oriented to allow bow mounting.
The 55lb thrust motor length from the top of the control box to the propeller is 42 inches. The 62lb and 86lb thrust motors are 50 inches.
No, a battery is not included. We recommend your use a 12-volt deep cycle or marine battery.
Replacement propellers can be purchased through our website.
The runtime depends on the Amp-Hour rating of the battery. Theoretically, a 50AH battery on our 55lb thrust motor will run continuously on the highest speed for an hour. See "Choose Your Motor" for run times.
Note: This does not take into account environmental factors such as wind and water speed, or boat size and load.
Yes, give us a call at 866-721-0002. See the parts schematic on the last page of our owners manual to find out what part number you need.
There are many variables that effect speed such as current, wind, and battery quality. See our "Choose Your Motor" matrix to see test speed results.
The 55lb thrust motor's shaft is 30 inches, while the 62lb thrust and 86lb thrust motor's shafts are 42 inches.
We offer a 1-year limited warranty from the date of purchase. Please see our full warranty policy for full details.
Our trolling motors can be used on any boat with a transom mount.
Yes, the LED lights remain on while connected to the battery but it uses little battery power.
The 55lb thrust motor is shipped in a box 46"x20"x6". The 62lb thrust and 86lb thrust motors ship in a box 55"x20"x6"
19. Can you see how much battery power is left with Newport trolling motors?
Yes, there is a LED panel showing approximate battery life.
Newport Vessels highly recommends a manual reset circuit breaker in the outboard motor leads within 1.8m (72 inches) of the battery for this motor, either on the positive or negative line. During the usage of the electric outboard motor, when the propeller is stuck by the weeds, small stones, fishing lines or so forth, the circuit breaker will cut off the power automatically to prevent the damage of the electrical parts.
If the circuit breaker cuts off the power, please disconnect the battery first, then check and clear any obstacles. At last, press the reset button on the circuit breaker and reconnect the battery, the electric outboard motor will now be able to continue functioning properly.
The 40 amp circuit breaker is recommended for the 36lb and 40lb thrust motors. The 50 amp circuit breaker is recommended for the 46lb, 55lb, and 86lb motors. And the 60 amp circuit breaker is best for the 62lb thrust motor. These circuit breakers can be found for purchase HERE. Please note that the circuit breaker will only protect when the motor is at the highest speed setting, whether forward or reverse.
21. Which propeller, 2-blade or 3-blade, will allow for greater travel distance with the same boat and same fully charged battery, and with all other factors being equal?
22. The washer that goes under the nut to secure the propeller of the motor has two different sides. Which side should meet the propeller and which side should be towards the motor?
23. Can I replace the trolling motors propeller with another branded propeller?
Newport Vessels brand trolling motors are built and constructed with a proprietary design that is uniquely Newport Vessels. Trolling motor propellers from other brands are not compatible with our motors.
24. I want to extend the motor's wiring to the battery. What gauge wire do I need to use?
When extending the wires of your trolling motor up 94”, we recommend that you use #10 AWG 105C wire. If you are extending the wires more than 94”, we recommend #8 AWG 105C.
* Wire lengths greater than 149" are not recommended.
All Newport Vessels trolling motors are designed specifically to be used only at the transom of your vessel. So the head cannot be turned 180 degrees.
Yes, we do ship to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada. Please call us at (866) 721-0002 and we can give you shipping rates based on your location. There may be duties and taxes imposed on orders to Canada that are not reflected in our prices. The buyer is responsible for these duties and taxes. Check with your local Customs office for applicable charges.
This item called the Drive Pin; it is included in all of our propeller replacement kits along with the propeller and all needed tools and pieces needed to install a replacement propeller. Please do not confuse this with a Shear Pin that is designed to break when too much force is applied to the prop. Our prop doesn't utilize this Shear Pin mechanism.
You can find the prop kits here: https://newportvessels.com/trolling-motor-accessories/.
(Please note that the 'Small' props are compatible with 36lb-46lb thrust motors, while the standard props are for 55lb-86lb motors.)
If you need a replacement pin immediately, you can source a generic steel cylinder to act as this pin piece at your local hardware store using the measurements of 1" length x 1/8" diameter for the 55lb, 62lb, and 86lb motors; and 1" length x 1/16" diameter for the 36lb, 40lb, and 46lb motors. You can specifically ask for a "Drive-Pin-type" component and the retailer maybe able to better direct you to the correct item.
The shaft diameter of all Newport Vessels Motors is a consistent 1.15 inches and is designed for optimal durability and compatibility across different applications.
For user convenience, the Newport Vessels Smart Battery Box is designed to measure the most accurate battery charge level of any user-supplied 12V Deep Cycle or Marine Battery when connected to a running motor. Despite the directions written on the battery box meter, the 12V battery hooked up inside the box needs to be under load by being connected to a running motor via the external box terminals for the meter to read the most accurate battery charge level of the battery.
To measure battery charge level while connected to a running motor:
1. Press and hold the test button. The number of blue LEDs that are lit relative to the total number of LEDs will indicate the charge level of the battery.
2. After you release the button, the last LED will blink for several seconds to confirm that the USB port is functioning correctly. If the USB port isn't working properly, the last LED will not blink.
To use the USB Port, plug in the USB device into the port. Then press the test button to wake up the system. When the USB port is connected to a mobile device and charging it, the last LED will keep flashing for the duration of the connection.
Inside the lower unit of the Newport Vessels Trolling Motor where the propeller is attached, we have assembled a speed adjustable coil on the motor head. It is cast into special epoxy. This special epoxy has very high heat dissipation ability, and provides excellent waterproofing.
Please be aware that the top handle and steering unit of the Newport Vessels Trolling Motor is not completely waterproofed and needs to be kept away from moisture contact.
31. Trolling motor wiring guide:
See the full trolling motor wiring guide HERE.
32. How to choose the correct thrust:
See our full guide on how to choose the correct thrust for your needs HERE.