The Newport Smart Battery Box has:
- Built-in LED Battery Meter
- Measure the battery charge level with the push of a button. (The feature is not compatible with Lithium batteries).
- External Battery Ports
- Safely and easily connect your trolling motor or accessory to the battery ports without opening the box. This also allows you to charge your battery without having to remove it!
- Dual Integrated Circuit Breakers
- Integrated with 10 AMP and 60 AMP circuit breakers to protect your trolling motor and other accessories from electrical damage
- Non-Slip Rubber Feet
- Non-slip feet inserts enable your batter box to stay in its place.
- Direct USB Charger and Accessory Port
- Includes one USB charger (5V - 0.5Amp) and one 12V accessory port for charging of accessories
- Interior dimensions are : 13-3/8" Long x 7-3/8" Wide x 10" Tall. Exterior dimensions are 16-9/10" Long, 7-4/5" width, and 12-1/2" Tall.
3. Weight limit?
- The Smart Battery Box can hold up to 77lbs.
4. How to charge the battery?
- Once your battery is installed inside the Smart Battery Box you may charge the battery via the outside terminals with your 12V Smart Battery Charger.
- The 62lb thrust motors do not need to use the circuit breaker that comes with the motor as the Smart Battery Box has a built-in 60amp circuit breaker. The rest of the motors including the 86lb motors will need to have the circuit breaker installed onto or in the smart battery box.
6. How to Install a Circuit Breaker?
- Our Smart Battery Box comes with a 60amp circuit breaker so it is compatible with all of our motors, but this does not mean it can protect each motor. When you purchase a trolling motor from Newport you will receive a free circuit breaker with your purchase. We require customers to use the circuit breaker with the smart battery box to protect the motor from surges. Please see the Owner's Manual for additional information.
- In order to wire the circuit breaker to the outside of the motor, you will attach the red lead from the motor to the silver terminal on the circuit breaker. Then attach the red wire extending from the circuit breaker to the outside positive terminal of the smart battery box. An added benefit is the ability to easily access the circuit breaker. If you plan on using the motor in areas with weeds and debris we recommend an exterior connection as the circuit breaker will need to be reset once it has been tripped. Please note that ocean spray should be wiped off with a towel with fresh water and dried in order to combat rust.
- You may also wire the circuit breaker inside the smart battery box. First, attach the positive wire from the underside of the lid to the silver terminal of the circuit breaker. Then attach the circuit breaker directly to the battery by attaching the longer red wire to the positive terminal. Please note you do not want the metal of the circuit breaker bumping into the negative terminal of the battery as this can cause an arc. You may tape or use zip-ties to attach the breaker into place. The benefit of this is your circuit breaker will be more protected. The downside is if the circuit breaker trips it is more difficult to get to to reset it.
7. How to set up Smart Battery Boxes with two 12 volt batteries in series?
- If you have purchased a 24 volt 86lb trolling motor you can use two Smart Battery Boxes in parallel to run your motor. First, you will need to install your batteries into the boxes by connecting the positive wire on the underside of the smart battery box to the positive terminal on the battery. Do the same for the negative wire and battery terminal.
Now that you have both batteries installed inside of the smart battery box you will need to install your circuit breaker. Attach the red wire extending from the trolling motor to the silver terminal on the circuit breaker. Then attach the red wire extending from the circuit breaker to the positive terminal on the first smart battery box.
Next, install the 12-inch battery connector cable that comes with the motor to the negative terminal of the first smart battery box you just attached the trolling motor to. Then attach the black wire to the positive terminal of the second smart battery box.
Finally, attach the negative wire from the trolling motor onto the negative terminal of the 2nd smart battery box. Your batteries are now safely wired in series meaning your voltage is double (12x2=24 Volts) and your amperage will stay the same.
8. How to use the Test button?
- Turn off trolling motor and all connected accessories. Then wait 60 seconds.
- Press and hold the test button. The number of blue LEDs that are lit will indicate the charge level of the battery. After you release the button, the last LED will blink for several seconds. This is to confirm that the USB port is functioning correctly.
- Make sure the circuit breakers have not been tripped. If they have, the black push buttons on the top of the lid will be raised. Reset the circuit breaker by depressing the button. Check and make sure the connections are all secure before continuing.