Please reach out to your local DMV about registering your boat and motor with them. Please note the trolling motors do not come with a Manufacturing Statement of Origin (MSO) as this form does not exist. The Department of Motor Vehicles may have varying requirements for registering a trolling motor in your state. Here is a general guide of information and documents to bring to register your trolling motor on a vessel.
What Do You Need?
We highly recommend researching your state for the specific requirements, but the list below is a good start. Below you will find a list that the DMV generally requests.
- Proof of Purchase (Bill of Sale):
- DMV Form(s):
- Year: The first two numbers on your serial number. Example "US19..." would be produced in 2019.
- Propulsion: Trolling Motor or if your form does not list Trolling Motor select "Other"
- Fuel: Electric or if your form does not list Electric select "Other"
- NOTE: Trolling motors are electric powered, they do not come with a "hang tag" or emission requirements since they do not create emissions.
- Serial Number
- State License
- Registration Fee Payment
Where Is My Serial Number?
If you have any additional questions about our motors, please see our Motors FAQ Page. For more in-depth articles, please visit our Motor Support Page. If you can’t find the information you need, give us a call (866) 721-0002 Monday to Friday: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm PST or reach out to us via email SUPPORT@NEWPORTVESSELS.COM.